Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day of Rest?

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there used to be a day of the week where everyone rested. I sometimes wish we still had that day of rest. No, I don't really want laws regulating that we have to rest for one day of the week. I just wish we had a culture where it was acceptable to take one day of the week off from going, going, going.

As it is, Sundays, often associated with the "Day of Rest", are usually my busiest day. I get up and get to church by 7:30am since I work backstage. While there, I make coffee, run timing, move mics, cords, and other equipment so the screen can come down, prepare for baptisms, and generally make sure people don't kill themselves by tripping over stuff in the dark backstage. After church, we come home and prepare and eat lunch and try to get the kids down for naps. We usually have small group (Bible Study group) on Sunday nights so I prepare food to take to that while the kids are napping. Then we're off to small group. By the time that is over, it's time to get the kids ready for bed, and I'm exhausted. Also, at least half of the time Joel has to be at work from all afternoon and evening so he's not here after church. (To his credit, he does do morning duties with the kids and get them ready for church which gives me one day of the week off from that.)

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff we do on Sundays, but can we please turn Mondays into our new day of rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment