Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Cheesecake (Gluten-free)

Christmas Cheesecake
Cheesecake is one of the easiest baked goods to convert to being gluten-free. My Christmas Cheesecake uses a gingersnap/molasses base to give it a holiday flavor. The filling is a pretty basic cheesecake recipe. I did decide to use yogurt in it instead of the sour cream that most recipes use. If you happen to be able to eat gluten, the GF flours can easily be replaced with AP flour.
Cheesecake


Snappy Crust

6 to 7 oz crushed ginger snaps (I use a bag of Pamela's Simplebites and eat one or two snaps before crushing.)
4 Tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup sorghum flour (or other flour)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Mix thoroughly and press into the bottom of springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. When finished, remove from oven and turn oven down to 325.
Cookie Crumbs Cheesecake Crust

Filling
4 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons white rice flour*
1 Tablespoon potato starch*
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup plain/ very lightly sweetened Greek yogurt or yogurt cheese (I used Greek Gods honey yogurt but would prefer to use plain yogurt cheese.)
4 eggs

*If you are not gluten-free, you can use 3 Tablespoons of AP flour in place of the rice flour and potato starch.

Mix cream cheese, sugar, flour, starch, and vanilla on medium speed until well-blended. Add yogurt and mix. Then add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed just until blended. Pour over crust and bake at 325 for 60-70 minutes or until center is almost set. Chill for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.


Super Fancy Mixer
Just in case you are wondering about what super fantastic kitchen equipment I use, meet my mixer. It was my great aunt's previously and may have been my great grandmother's before that. I'm not sure how old it is, but I can say fairly confidently that it's older than me.

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing . . . and your photo is so perfect, I can almost taste it. Happy Holidays, and thank you for this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great!

    I love the mixer...

    Live Laugh and Enjoy!

    Fire-Eyes

    ReplyDelete