Monday, January 24, 2011

Chocolate Cake Experiment: Version 2

I've been craving something sweet all day so I decided to try to improve my chocolate cake tonight. I actually baked it while watching the finale for TLC's Cake Boss: Next Great Baker. (I got hooked on the show because my brother's boss was on it. He didn't make it to the finale though.)



1 cup natural cocoa powder
1 cup sugar (I used turbinado sugar.)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsps baking soda
2 tablespoons cinnamon



8oz cream cheese (softened)
4 tablespoons butter (softened)1/2 cup milk + 2 tbsps vinegar OR 1/2cup + 2tbsps buttermilk
3 eggs



Whisk together dry ingredients. Add in wet ingredients and mix until well blended.


What I changed from Version 1:



  •  added butter.
  •  omitted potato starch.
  •  added brown rice flour.
  • decreased almond meal
  • did not heat wet ingredients on the stove
This cake is nice and moist and has really good flavor. It has a nice rise to it and pretty decent texture. I wish my almond meal was ground more finely because it adds a bit of a gritty texture to it as it is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment