Thursday, January 13, 2011

Vodka + Vanilla beans

Vodka + Vanilla beans

It's the start of vanilla extract!

I've been meaning to get this started for awhile. I bought some vanilla beans but not enough so my friend Amanda sent me more. Joel went and bought the vodka for me. Then I realized that I didn't have an appropriate container to start it in. I wanted an 8oz container and ended up finding a maple syrup bottle that was perfect. Today I finally stopped procrastinating. I pulled the label off of the bottle and then boiled it to sterilize it. After that I poured the vodka in the bottle, cut up the vanilla beans and added them to the bottle. Now I just have to wait.

4 comments:

  1. And you get to shake it every day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will probably turn out to be INCREDIBLY strong vanilla. I realize that they are all cut up into pieces, but that's still a LOT of beans for an 8 oz bottle. Also, be sure to keep it in the dark as it will help it cure. Let me know how it goes!

    Do you know what country the beans came from by any chance? and what kind of vodka did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like incredibly strong vanilla. I tend to use huge amounts of the store-bought vanilla.

    Part of the beans are Madagascar vanilla beans. I'm not sure about the others. The vodka is Absolut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, in terms of strong. I tend to use 1 full bean for about 3/4 cup of alcohol and it turns out strong. I'm a huge vanilla person too and even using a tablespoon of that in a quart of ice cream can be a bit much sometimes.

    ReplyDelete