Sunday, February 24, 2013

My Painting Past (1992)

Cezanne-inspired still life

When I was in middle school we had one six-weeks where our special area was art. That was it for the whole two years there. (We also had rotations are home ec, music, and shop, amongst other things.) After the first couple of projects in art class the teacher chose a couple students to be in the "advanced" art group. Quite frankly I was surprised to be chosen. I was the nerd of our family. My sister was the artsy one. While I enjoyed art, I did not see myself as someone who had tons of artistic ability. (I still pretty much see myself this way: I love it but am mediocre. I need to put in much more time before I am really good at painting/other art.)

Anyway, the advanced art group got to do paintings modeled after works by great artists. This, I believe, was inspired by the still lifes of Paul Cezanne. I actually think I may have been trying to copy a specific painting, but I'm not sure what it was. I remember this taking me most of the 6-weeks to finish. I was very meticulous and perfectionistic about it. I wonder what it says about me that I have progressed to doing paintings within one to two hours? I don't know that my paintings are any better than this painting that I did at 12-years old. I just produce them faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment