Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Nashville Build!

Proud Owner
Last Friday I found out that Lighthouse Preschool was being rebuilt by Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Lighthouse made headlines in May during the Nashville flood when their building floated down and finally capsized on I-24.



A friend of mine teaches preschool there so I really wanted to help! I wasn't sure that I could be much help since I am not a construction person, but my friend assured me that they could use me there, even if it was just serving food or carrying drinks to workers.

Thanks to my parents who were able to take care of my kids until Joel got home to take them, I was able to go over on Wednesday. I stopped and got myself some steel-toed boots in case I was able to work on the actual building site.

When I got to the check-in that they were already at capacity for general volunteers, but since I had driven half an hour to be there and had steel-toed boots, they told me to wait around for a little while to see if any spots had opened up. I was a bit disappointed and walked over to my car to call Joel. After talking with him for a couple of minutes, I walked back over to the volunteer table where they told me that a spot had opened up! Hooray!

I can't say too much about what I did on site. Top Secret stuff, you know! I'll just say that I spent most of Wednesday night ('til 2am!) priming pieces and went back again on Thursday night ('til 1am!) painting those same pieces. I worked with a great team of people. Big shout-outs especially to team leader DANA and Dustin, Tim, and Amanda who were there both nights with me. (Actually, they all spent much more time there than I did!) What a pleasure working with them and all the other volunteers!

If you'd like to see more info on the project, check out The Nashville Build website and watch EM:HE in early November. You'll definitely see the pieces I worked on!

No comments:

Post a Comment