Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wackier Cake

Gluten-free wacky cake

I used to subscribe to a magazine called Cook's Country. I loved reading about their cooking experiments, recipe makeovers, and equipment reviews. However, since I now eat gluten-free I can't use most of their recipes and no longer subscribe.

One of my favorite recipes from Cook's Country is their Wacky Cake which is their take on a WWII-era cake made with no eggs or butter. What's 'wacky' about it is that you mix all the ingredients in the pan you use to bake it. No need to mess up a mixing bowl!

I decided to try a GF version, and it came out great. Here's the recipe:


1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup GF oat flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

5 Tablespoons of oil or butter
1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8"x8" pan.

Whisk together dry ingredients in the pan. Make three craters in your flour mixture. Pour the oil/butter, vinegar, and vanilla each in their own separate crater. Then pour the water over the top and mix it all together quickly.

Bake for 30 minutes.

SO easy!! Who needs a cake mix?

______________________________________
This cake is good cut into squares and eaten plain. I've also made a chocolate ganache to pour over it.
Today I used the cake to make a chocolate peanut butter trifle.
Chocolate-peanut butter trifle

No comments:

Post a Comment