Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cookie Base

Earlier this week my brother started a new blog. He posted two posts basically back-to-back so I ended up seeing his second one first. I had to laugh it was remarkably similar to my first blog post on this blog! Now I'm just waiting for my sister to start a blog with a post about cookies.

Obviously those cookies have a long history in our family.  I remember making it so many times for parties at school where my friends all loved them and taking plates full of them for teacher gifts. I remember making HUGE batches of them to take on our long road trips we often took in the summer. (Chocolate-peanut butter chip cookies that have been sitting in a hot car on a sunny summer day are melty and delicious.) I even remember writing my first 3-point demonstrative speech in Mrs. Berning's 8th grade English class about how to make them.

Because I am gluten-free, I don't use that cake mix recipe anymore. (Maybe one of these days I'll get around to testing a GF cake mix in it, but they are generally too expensive to bother with buying.) Instead, I've been working on a cookie base recipe. This one is kind of a soft cookie with a crispy edge. It is best rolled in a sugar and spice mixture so the outside caramelizes a bit.

Basic Cookie Recipe

1 cup butter
1 egg
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups flour mix [I used equal parts white rice, brown rice, sorghum.]
1/3 cup potato starch
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Vanilla, to taste

Sugar and spice mixture (Suggestions: 1/2 cup sugar with 2 tablespoons cinnamon OR 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup cocoa)
Optional: chocolate chip, peanut butter chips, raisins, etc.

Cream together first four ingredients. In separate bowl, whisk together the flours, starch, baking soda, and salt.

Roll small balls of dough in sugar & spice mixture. Flatten a bit when you place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment