Thursday, March 1, 2012

February Postscript

Grandma

I thought that the month of February had been rough when I posted last time but had not anticipated the last two days of the month being the hardest days of the whole month.

In the wee hours of the morning on Tuesday, I got the news that my grandma had died. I want to go to the funeral, but after searching all day on Tuesday, I was not able to find any plane tickets in a price range I could afford. Two weeks earlier the prices had been a couple hundred dollars cheaper for short-notice tickets, but I'm guessing that they have gone up due to spring break being imminent.

The picture at the top of the page is of my grandma, probably when she was in her 30s. In this photo, I can really tell how much I resemble her. Much of my facial bone structure (cheek bones, eye brows, nose) are quite similar to hers.

Since my grandma lived across the country from us, I did not get to see her often, but I have some good memories of her. Grandma loved music,  and she gave me my first piano lessons. The first song I remember her teaching me is "Hot Cross Buns" which I have now taught it to my kids. She also loved to bake and make candy. I remember staying at her house one time when we were in Seattle, and she showed me how to make peanut brittle. Grandma taught me how to play canasta, too, which came in handy when I met Joel since that is one his family's favorite games.

I will miss my grandma, but I am glad she is no longer in any pain. I just wish I could be there for the funeral.

If that wasn't enough craziness for the month, I was rear-ended on the way to taking Zoe to school yesterday. Thankfully, the kids and I are okay. We did go in to the ER to be checked out. Zoe's neck was hurting so they transported her by ambulance. My neck is sore, too, so they checked it also. Thomas is completely fine. His 5-point harness seat kept him from getting jostled as much. Baby Girl is also fine. I had my seat belt under my belly and around my hips so she was not impacted at all. I think the girl who rear-ended me was also fine. She came up and apologized profusely for the accident. (She had dropped a cookie and lost focus and missed that I had stopped at the light.)

Here's hoping that March is a better month, that the funeral goes well, that Zoe and I are not in pain too long, and that the car situation is taken care of quickly and easily.

Just for fun, here's a photo of my mom when she was six months pregnant with me and then me at six months pregnant:

My Mom- 6 months pregnant with me29 weeks

1 comment:

  1. You are really sticking out there! You look great, but I remember my toes at six months. You've also got two more kids on me, so maybe in a few years we can really compare. :) Sorry it was such a rough couple of days. Hopefully you and Z won't be in pain long.

    ReplyDelete